The Three Meads

3 Meads

Split into bottles and 2 buckets.

As I’ve been without a stove for a while—documented here—brew days have been few and far between (a phrase which here means “nonexistent”). However, late in the fall, we managed to get started on a mead, thanks to a friend whose father is a recreational beekeeper. After several transfers between carboys and buckets and buckets and carboys, today was bottling day.

However, we at YBD aren’t satisfied with just any old mead. Of the 5-gallon batch, I bottled about 3 gallons (carbonated with sugar tabs), then made a trip to The Produce Station to look for some adjuncts. After furiously texting Paul back-and-forth for proportions (technology!), I headed back home with two grapefruits and two kiwi.

Fruits for mead

Kiwi. Grapefruit. Mead.

I juiced half a grapefruit into a bowl, and scooped the pulp into my food processor. Then, I skinned both kiwi and chopped them up, putting the meat into the food processor as well. After giving it a few quick pulses to puree the whole thing, I put the pulp and juice into the microwave for 30 seconds to kill any bacteria. Finally, I dumped the whole thing into a bucket with half of the remaining mead (just over a gallon). Since I didn’t want to leave such a small batch, I added about a quart of distilled water to the whole she-bang.

With the remaining grapefruit, I followed a similar process: juicing and scooping the pulp. This fruit-and-a-half went into the other bucket, and again I topped it with a quart of distilled water. This left us with 3 gallons of plain mead, 1.25 gallons of grapefruit-kiwi mead, and 1.25 gallons of grapefruit mead.

Can’t wait to taste the plain mead in a couple weeks, and the fruit editions a few weeks after that.