- 1lb American Crystal Malt 40L
- 2oz British Chocolate Malt
- 6.6lbs Liquid Dark Malt Extract
- 2oz Chinook
- 2.5oz Fuggle
- Bring ≈3 gals of water up to heat.
- Between 160-170ºF add grains in muslin bag and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 40 minutes.
- Remove spent grains and bring mixture to boil.
- Once malt is mixed bring to a boil and add 2oz Chinook hops. Start boil timer.
- 50 minutes in/10 minutes from the end add 1.250z Fuggle and mix in.
- After the boil is completed (60 minute mark) cool, and add an additional 2 gallons of purified water.
- Add 1.25oz Fuggle.
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- Bitterness: 67 IBU
- Color: 28 HCU (~15 SRM)
- Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV
This should be a pretty standard ESB. We brewed the beer with only two people this time (Tim was out of town) but it went off without a hitch. We’ll tell you how it tasts in a few weeks.